My Engine Tuning Progress Bar

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Keeping your seat Dry

I have tried several ways to keep my recumbent seat dry over the last couple of years. From garbage bags to sewing part of a blue tarp to fit. Some successful some not, the blue tarp one was a step in the right direction but was bulky. Lately I thought of redoing the tarp one in a lighter material, but to find the right material was a challenge. Then I remembered back to my hiking days and remembered that I had a rain cover for my JanSport frame pack that worked really well. Hmmm, maybe I could buy one at MEC and cut it up to make one for my seat!

So I headed over to MEC and picked up three items: one Red Zepplin CO2 Inflator with 2-16 oz. cartridges: so I have a pump back up. (hopefully now I'll avoid another escapade like last weekends)A tube of WildBerry Nuun electrolyte drink tablets. It uses a sort of carbonation tablet, so I was surprised when I took my first sip and it shot out like it was under a bit of CO2 pressure.
And I picked up 2 yellow XS Raincovers made of waterproof coated nylon to mangle into shape for seat covers. For only $6 cdn each; they come with a drawstring to snug it down in either black or yellow and a small stuff sack to store it in.

When I got home I wanted to see if they would fit out of curiosity. Well sure enough they fit really good over and under the seat well enough that I will not have to get Alice to chop them up at all. So If you want a cheap seat cover for you recumbent look into xtra small pack rain covers at your Local MEC, REI or camping supply store!